Rezaul Karim Chowdhury, the newly elected mayor of Chittagong City, said, ‘Not a promise; I believe in work. I will do my best to reciprocate the love of the city dwellers. He said this at a press conference held at his home in Bahaddarhat on Thursday morning. He was accompanied by Chittagong Metropolitan Awami League General Secretary AJM Nasir Uddin and Publicity Secretary Shafiqul. Islam Farooq, organizing secretary Shafiq Adnan and others. Rezaul Karim Chowdhury, senior joint general secretary of Nagar Awami League, said at the press conference, 'I have been in politics for a long time.

With that in mind, Jannetri nominated me. I have been able to repay him by winning. The victory is not mine, the people of Chittagong. This victory belongs to Bangabandhu's daughter Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina. I will work hard to fulfill the promises of the city dwellers. I will never use power in unrighteous and immoral ways. I will work for the welfare of the common people all the time.

In my long political life, when no greed has touched me, greed and immorality will not allow me to deviate an inch. I never gave up the policy. Such a trend will continue in the future. We will continue to work for the development of the city dwellers with individuality. The turnout in the election is only 22.5 percent.

Working people prioritize work over voting. Moreover, there have been some problems due to lack of public holidays. However, there is no country in the world where 100 per cent or 90 per cent of the votes are cast. I was also the chairman of the Chaktai Canal Struggle Committee. I want to use the experience of the past.

At the time of Corona, I ran with as much cooperation as I could. Distributed relief and protection, food items. I have done isolation center. Because of these actions, people have considered me a friend of danger. People liked me so much, I was overwhelmed. I can promise that I will continue to try my best. I believe that waterlogging will be reduced to a great extent after the completion of the ongoing mega project worth Tk 6,000 crore.

Many canals have been occupied. However, we will take all necessary steps to rescue them. I want to implement my plan around 41 wards. I would like to move forward with everyone in the overall development of the city. Rezaul Karim wished everyone's cooperation in building a new Chittagong metropolis at the press conference. Rezaul Karim Chowdhury has been elected the new mayor of the city after defeating Shahadat Hossain by a margin of nearly three lakh votes.